An everyday Beef Burrito recipe, stuffed with a simple, super tasty seasoned beef, rice and other fillings of choice. These Burritos are a brilliant freezer standby because they are just as good made fresh or frozen then reheated. The burrito beef filling is especially good – made with a homemade Mexican seasoning that’s way better than thở a packet of Old El Paso!
Bạn đang xem: burritos
Flavour packed everyday Burrito recipe!
Having a stash of burritos in the freezer makes u feel smug. Along with homemade Frozen Pizzas, these are one of the all time ultimate freezer meals.
Except burritos have the added bonus that you don’t even need to tát dirty a tray to tát reheat them, or a plate to tát eat them. Food you can eat with your hands always rates highly in my world!!! 😂
I Call this Beef Burrito recipe an “everyday beef burrito” because beef filling aside, it’s a terrific one for adding in what you have and what you want. The key part of this recipe is the Beef Burrito Filling – highly seasoned with a homemade spice mix that tastes lượt thích Old El Paso – except it’s preservative free!
Freezer burritos: filling tips
Use ingredients that freeze well
Use cabbage instead of lettuce – cabbage holds up to tát freezing better
Only use a small amount of “watery” vegetables lượt thích tomato as they become even more watery once defrosted
Other raw vegetables used in burritos that do not freeze well include: avocado, cucumber
Cook vegetables like capsicum/peppers, zucchini, carrot. Dice and add to tát Beef Filling.
What goes in beef burritos
The Beef Filling is the main flavour component in this burrito recipe. It’s highly seasoned and juicy so sánh it provides the “wetness” in the burrito as well as the flavour mixing through the other ingredients when you roll it up.
So other than thở the Beef Burrito Filling, there’s endless possibilities for what to tát put in the burrito! For this recipe, I’ve chosen a combination of ingredients that freeze well:
Beef Burrito Filling – juicy and packed with flavour!
Plain white rice – or try brown rice, quinoa, or this Mexican Red Rice!)
Cabbage or lettuce
How to tát freeze and reheat burritos
I lượt thích to tát use foil to tát roll up the burritos as it holds it together and then I can reheat it in the foil in the oven.
To freeze, I wrap in cling wrap (for extra air tight assurance) then put it in a ziplock bag or airtight container.
To reheat the burrito, I simply defrost in the fridge overnight then pop it in the ovenin the foil to make it crisp and heat through. If I forgot to tát defrost overnight, then I take it out of the foil, microwave on low to tát defrost, then wrap it up in the foil again and pop it in the oven to tát crisp up.
Dipping sauces for burritos
I totally forgot to tát take a photo of what to tát dip burritos in. They bởi need something because you can’t make the filling too wet, otherwise it makes the tortilla soggy.
For simplicity, my go-to is sour cream or yoghurt, sometimes with a dollop of some sort of chilli sauce. If I feel lượt thích making more of an effort or I’m doing these for a group (I lượt thích doing burritos for camping), then I’ll make Restaurant Style Salsa (because it’s smooth, it’s good for dipping) or this Avocado Dipping Sauce.
So – have I convinced you that you need to tát fill your freezer with these burritos??? – Nagi xx
FAVOURITE MEXICAN RECIPES
Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
Chicken Fajitas and Beef Fajitas
Xem thêm: truyện hợp đồng hôn nhân 100 ngày
Queso Cheese Dip
Mexican Fiesta Menu and recipes
See all Mexican recipes
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Beef Burrito recipe video!
Subscribe to tát my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Servings6 - 8 burritos
Tap or hover to tát scale
Recipe đoạn Clip above. Simple, super tasty everyday beef burritos made with a homemade beef mince filling (ground beef), rice and your choice of fillings. One of the best freezer meals ever!
- 1 tsp each onion powder , dried oregano, salt
- 2 tsp each dried cumin powder , paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper , or to tát taste (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onion , finely chopped
- 500g / 1 lb beef mince (ground beef), I use lean
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp water
- 6 - 8 large soft flour tortillas or round wraps (~25cm/10”+) (Note 1)
- 3 cups cooked rice , warm not piping hot (I use white long grain)
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce or cabbage , finely sliced (use cabbage if freezing)
- 1 cup corn kernels (I use canned, drained)
- 1 cup black beans (I use canned, drained)
- 3 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion , finely chopped
- Finely chopped coriander / cilantro (optional)
- 1 50% cups / 150g shredded cheese of choice (melting kind)
Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes until onion is lightly browned. Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it turns from red to tát brown.
Add Taco Seasoning (or use 1 packet store bought) and cook for 1 minute. Then add tomato paste and water, cook for 3 minutes until the water is mostly evaporated but the beef is still juicy, not dried out. Set aside to tát cool for 10 minutes – piping hot filling will steam the burrito, making the tortilla soggy.
Optional: If not warming rolled burrito, warm the tortillas before rolling (per packet directions).
Place a burrito on a work surface. Place 1/4 - 1/3 cup of rice just below the centre. Top with 1/4 - 1/3 cup beef, then some lettuce, corn, đen sì beans, tomato, a sprinkle of red onion, coriander and cheese.
Fold up the bottom to tát cover the filling then fold the edges in (video helpful to tát see how to tát bởi this). Roll up tightly, then wrap in foil. Serve as is or heat per below.
HEATING: To warm through, pan fry (dry pan) in the foil over medium high heat for a few minutes on each side to tát slightly crisp and warm the outside. Or for 10+ minutes on a medium low heat if you want to tát melt the cheese. Or they can be baked at 180C/350F for trăng tròn minutes in the foil – this will warm them all the way through and crisp up the tortilla slightly. If they are straight from the fridge, they will take around 30 minutes to tát warm through.
Burritos are best served with something to tát dollop/dip - sour cream (or yoghurt) and some sort of chilli sauce are my usual because it's easy. When I'm making more of an effort, I use Restaurant Style Salsa or Guacamole.
1. I lượt thích to tát use Mission large soft wraps (see photo in post) because they are slightly larger than thở burrito wraps sold in the Mexican section of Woolies/Coles etc plus they are slightly softer so sánh less prone to tát breaking AND they are slightly cheaper. Win, win, win! (PS I'm in nước Australia 🙂 )
2. STORAGE/REHEATING: Burritos freeze / reheat brilliantly as long as you avoid watery vegetables. The combination of ingredients I use (don't use lettuce, use green cabbage) is ideal for freezing. Typically, tomatoes aren't great for freezing but because it's the only "watery" vegetable and not much is used, it works great. To reheat, thaw for 24 hours in the fridge or overnight on counter (as log as it's not super hot where you are) then:
- OVEN: reheat in oven at 180C/350F in foil for 30 - 4o min (place on tray in case there is leakage) until outside is slightly crisp;
- MICROWAVE/STOVE: unwrap then microwave for 2 minutes then crisp in dry pan over medium heat;
- STOVE: Leave in foil and turn over medium heat in dry pan for 10+ minutes until crisp all over (takes a while to tát warm all the way through).
3. MORE VEGGIES / Great for Freezing: One way to tát pack more veggies into this and/or reduce the carbs by leaving out the rice is to tát add veggies into the beef filling. To bởi this, increase the Seasoning, tomato and water by 50% (use the scaler by hovering your cursor over Servings) then add 3 cups of diced veggies of choice, lượt thích zucchini, carrots, celery, capsicum, corn. Use a large skillet, saute these veggies after the onion, then push to tát the side and add the beef and proceed with the recipe.
4. Nutrition per serving assuming 10 burritos.
Serving: 308gCalories: 511cal (26%)
Keywords: Beef Burrito, Burrito Recipe
Burrito recipe originally published June 2017. Updated for housekeeping matters October 2018 – no change to tát recipe!
Life of Dozer
Staring competition: Dozer vs Burrito. Dozer won.
Hi, I'm Nagi!
I believe you can make great food with everyday ingredients even if you’re short on time and cost conscious. You just need to tát cook clever and get creative!
Xem thêm: đấu la đại lục 1
Free Recipe eBooks
Join my không tính tiền tin nhắn list to tát receive THREE không tính tiền cookbooks!